Chromium white iron consists of complex chromium carbides embedded in martensite. Specifically, chromium carbide accounts for 35% of the High Chrome White Iron Castings structure, and the remaining 65% is martensite. Interestingly, chromium carbide is essentially the same as the compound used in the overlay process.

In some of our data sheets, such as our ASTM A532 Class II D-type data sheet, we describe each alloy and its mechanical and physical properties. In fact, to view each data sheet, click on the link on our chrome-plated white iron page. In contrast, this blog contains a general overview of high chrome white iron castings. Other chrome white iron pump parts include the outer casing, suction lining and impeller.

The molecular structure of high chromium white iron gives a significant wear advantage because you can cast it to a higher thickness. In addition, the heat treatment of the casting ensures that the hardness of the martensitic structure is the greatest benefit for a given application.

Wear resistance is the most desirable property when selecting chrome white iron castings. At the casting level, the microstructure (carbide and martensite) is controlled to maximize the wear resistance of the application. There are many phenomena during the cutting, shaving or scratching type of wear. The presence of carbides, fatigue resistance and the toughness of high chromium white iron play an important role in their wear resistance.